مشاركات عشوائية

Play it Forward teaches kids sports, kindness and inclusion

featured image

It’s not every day you can play soccer with a three-time state champion, or be pushed around an obstacle course on a scooter.But through Play it Forward’s summer camp, 75 kids were able to do both those thing and more.“It’s fun seeing them smiling, happy and then they all cheer after they win,” Skutt Catholic senior Wyatt Archer said. “It’s just really fun to see and I have fun with it to.”30 high school athletes across seven metro schools helped lead kids through various activities and sports, a design that helps introduce kids to new hobbies they may enjoy.”We just thought at a young age it’s great just to try different sports,” Play it Forward Executive Director Pete Walls said.We know it can be difficult for young kids to go play one sport for an hour.”Another key part of Play it Forward is ‘Be Kind Time’, which allows kids to have a break while focusing on important values associated with sports.“I think it’s really important because you install ideas kids need to learn,” Archer said. “Like, how to be a good teammate, how to be a good friend, how to lose the right way, how to win the right way.”Play it Forward also educates kids on the importance of accepting those of all backgrounds and abilities.“We just want everybody who wants to be part of it and play sports to be part of the program. We can make it work,” Walls said. “If we have a young athlete who needs a buddy to be with them for the entire session, we’ll assign one of our high school athletes to be their buddy, which we did this week and it was so fun to see.”Fun is at the forefront of Play it Forward, but it’s not just the kids who benefit from the experiences gained at each session.“All the memories are rushing back. When I leave I’ll remember these things and I hope they can remember them as well,” Millard South senior Amari Laing said. “I remember all the times when I was having fun with older kids when I was younger which definitely led me to where I am now.”The next Play it Forward sessions will happen Saturday mornings this fall, running from September 23 through October 14.To find out more information about Play it Forward, enrolling your child in a session or how to volunteer, you can visit the website here.

It’s not every day you can play soccer with a three-time state champion, or be pushed around an obstacle course on a scooter.

But through Play it Forward’s summer camp, 75 kids were able to do both those thing and more.

“It’s fun seeing them smiling, happy and then they all cheer after they win,” Skutt Catholic senior Wyatt Archer said. “It’s just really fun to see and I have fun with it to.”

30 high school athletes across seven metro schools helped lead kids through various activities and sports, a design that helps introduce kids to new hobbies they may enjoy.

“We just thought at a young age it’s great just to try different sports,” Play it Forward Executive Director Pete Walls said.We know it can be difficult for young kids to go play one sport for an hour.”

Another key part of Play it Forward is ‘Be Kind Time’, which allows kids to have a break while focusing on important values associated with sports.

“I think it’s really important because you install ideas kids need to learn,” Archer said. “Like, how to be a good teammate, how to be a good friend, how to lose the right way, how to win the right way.”

Play it Forward also educates kids on the importance of accepting those of all backgrounds and abilities.

“We just want everybody who wants to be part of it and play sports to be part of the program. We can make it work,” Walls said. “If we have a young athlete who needs a buddy to be with them for the entire session, we’ll assign one of our high school athletes to be their buddy, which we did this week and it was so fun to see.”

Fun is at the forefront of Play it Forward, but it’s not just the kids who benefit from the experiences gained at each session.

“All the memories are rushing back. When I leave I’ll remember these things and I hope they can remember them as well,” Millard South senior Amari Laing said. “I remember all the times when I was having fun with older kids when I was younger which definitely led me to where I am now.”

The next Play it Forward sessions will happen Saturday mornings this fall, running from September 23 through October 14.

To find out more information about Play it Forward, enrolling your child in a session or how to volunteer, you can visit the website here.

Post a Comment

0 Comments